If you’re reading this, I know what you are thinking. You need a way to get around that is fast, convenient, and not affected by traffic jams. I am the exact same way. I am currently a student and with how long and tiring school is, I do not want to take a long bus ride. My solution? The best folding electric scooter I can get my hands on.
Electric folding scooters are a good choice for someone who needs transportation that is easy to store and simple to use. I love the ability to fold it and take it wherever I need it after I am done riding. Knowing that I can safely get around while still having time for my studies makes these scooters worth every penny.
Never waste money on the bus again. Save money by using your car less. Feel better about your ecological footprint on the planet. There are so many reasons to consider buying a scooter. They are motorized and light-weight. They are an ideal way to get around the city without having to deal with the traffic.
Electric scooters are an especially good choice in the hands of a student who needs to get to their next class for example. Scooters are a great option for commuting to work and back or just going out to take a ride through your neighborhood. At the end of the day, this why they are an absolutely perfect option for me and I am sure they will be for you too.
Best Folding Scooter – Buying Guide
When it comes to scooters, I like to look out for a few specs to make sure I am getting the best use out of what I buy.
For me, speed and battery life are the most important factors for a good scooter. I want to actually get to where I need to go without running out of battery power. And ideally, I would like to get back home too.
After battery life and speed, I care a lot about the weight of a folding scooter. So, with these things in mind, I will rate these scooters out of five stars based on their affordability, durability, and reliability.
Without further ado, these are my top five picks for the best folding electric scooters.
1. Hover-1 Journey
The Segway Ninebot scooter is best folding electric scooter that is well within your budget. It has a well-built and sturdy quality that goes faster than it says it goes.
- Has bright LED head lights
- Has air-inflated tires for better all-round ride quality and improved grip
- Has a hand brake that controls the rear disc brake
- Very easy to assemble
- Provides a smooth and stable ride
- You have to constantly check the tires and inflate them if necessary
- Has no manual step break
- Great incline riding and slope adaptability makes the Hover-1 a great choice for people who need the extra traction on hills
- 300 watts gives this scooter enough power and torque to give you a solid max speed of 14mph
- The fantastic long-lasting battery will give you a max distance of 16 miles. That’s the power of a certified 36-volt lithium-ion battery
- The cruise control function is a must have for people who just want to relax and let the machine do all of the work. Activate this and bask in the wind as your scooter maintains a stable, comfortable speed. Perfect for longer commutes or for just when you want to kick back and enjoy the scenic route
- The LCD display is a strong feature of the Hover-1 as it displays lots of information that will vastly improve your riding experience. Use the LCD screen to check in on your speed, traveled distance, battery life remaining and activate important functions such as cruise control or headlights.
This is one of the best folding electric scooters I have ever used before. It glides well on its own and drives like an absolute dream. This will always be the scooter I turn to when I need to get somewhere quickly. I am in love with it. This scooter could easily replace your need to use your bicycle so often at a very affordable price. It will save the money that is going into it, without a single doubt. Not to mention, lessening your ecological footprint.
This is on my top list for its many impressive features. It makes my travels so convenient even during uphill rides since it possesses a strong climbing ability. But the features I adore the most are its endurance, power, anti-skid pedals, and taillight design. It just makes it so much easier on the knees and ankles to drive around should I hit some unfavorable terrain.
This scooter can cruise up to 16 miles which is honestly not that impressive compared to its counterparts. Its speed, however, is something that is worth mentioning. Its product information says it can only go up to 14mph but in reality, it can run as fast as 20 mph. It’s perfect for traveling around the city as quickly as a bicycle would be able to do. Unlike a bicycle, however, it comes so handy that I love taking it to school with me and not needing to take a lengthy city bus ride to get home.
The Ninebot scooter is equipped with a bright headlight for added safety during nighttime. It has a max carrying capacity of 220 pounds to ensure safety during riding. But if you’re a little over its weight capacity, you can still go easy as long as your weight doesn’t exceed 260 pounds.
Another thing that’s notable about the Hover-1 is its ability to seamlessly connect with your phone. It doesn’t require a login & connection to authorize riding. Just simply turn the power on to start enjoying the ride.
Affordability: 4/5 stars. This scooter allows you to experience the Segway Ninebot scooter but at a much more affordable price.
Reliability: 5/5 stars. This scooter can take you anywhere with safety and stability.
Durability: 3/5 stars. It is made with durable and high-quality materials. The only drawback is its air-filled wheels that require more attention and maintenance than solid tires.
In conclusion, the Hover-1 Journey is absolutely amazing budget scooter. Despite a few imperfections, I still prefer this one compared to a significantly more expensive premium ride. It comes in handy with great functionalities that make me feel safe and stable throughout my ride. For a mid-range price point, its features are already a great steal.
2. Xiaomi Mi M365 Electric Scooter
The is a sturdy and comfortable scooter that is a great all-rounder. It is built to last a long time and will easily get you from A to B.
- Great Battery life
- Very sturdy kickstand
- Tall and bright taillights and headlights
- Decent charging time
- Handlebar is foldable
- The battery can recharge via the kinetic function
- Tight braking
- Not Available in multiple colors
- Power-hungry lights
- A very lightweight and portable scooter that is at the top of its game when it comes to sleekness and portability. Only weighing in at 27 pounds, the M365 Scooter is a comfy and sturdy all-rounder.
- With a max range of 18.5 miles and a max speed of 15.5 mph, this scooter is above most when it comes to power and longevity
- A faster than average battery charge time makes this a great choice for people who are too eager to hop on their scooter. Additionally, the kinetic recharge function allows you to recharge a little energy via manual kick control
- Taillights and headlights are very bright which makes this a very safe choice for nighttime riding
- Braking is especially tight and dependable even on multiple terrains, wet or dry
If you’re looking for a scooter that maximizes both efficiency and intuitiveness then the electric foldable scooter will satisfy your needs. This is a great scooter for those who want something that is truly a no-hassle machine and simply does all that it needs to: transport you to your destination.
The Xiaomi Mi is a very portable scooter. Despite the fact that it only weighs 27 pounds, it is rather thin and sleek. This is a great feature for anyone looking for an electric scooter that features some impressive acceleration. You can go from zero to max speed pretty quickly, which makes this a great choice for people who want a scooter for transportation over fun riding.
That isn’t to say that Xiaomi Mi isn’t fun. I mean, just look at it. The dark smoky grey and the red wiring really make this vehicle stand out. It has a unique and sleek look that gives off a sporty vibe when you’re cruising around town.
When it comes to more practical features, the Xiaomi Mi has some pretty darn strong tail and headlights that shine very brightly in the dark. That makes this a great choice of a scooter if you plan on doing a lot of night-time riding. Just be wary that the lights do take a bit of a toll on the overall battery life.
One of the most unique things about the Xiaomi Mi is its kinetic recharge function. If you run out of juice then you can use the electric scooter like, well like a regular scooter. Manually pushing with your feet will give a little extra juice back into the battery. This is great for reducing overall charge time or for conserving some energy if you’re out on a longer ride.
Both the front and rear wheels are well designed. They utilize anti-slip treads and have shock-absorbing components that will heavily reduce the force of bumps or minor crashes. There’s also a smartphone app for free that you can use to see specific vehicle diagnostics such as your battery life or see a speedometer.
Affordability: 3/5. The Xiaomi Mi isn’t cheaper than most scooters but will still be a great choice for anyone looking for a reliably powerful scooter.
Reliability: 4/5. The double-disc braking system and great battery life really make this scooter impressive.
Durability: 4/5. Solid build quality makes this a scooter that will last for years, even if you plan on using it on a daily basis.
The is a little pricey but it is worth the cost. With impressive top speeds and battery life, this is a great scooter to have for longer trips, plus its foldable design makes it great for storage at home or inside an automobile. The kinetic charging function is really cool and you’ll be surprised by how much extra value it adds to the scooter overall.
3. Glion Dolly
The is the best folding electric scooter for everyone that intends to take this on a bus or train thanks to how it can be transformed into a rolling suitcase.
- Very portable. This feature definitely makes this a very attractive scooter for anyone who needs to commute to and from work. Or even school.
- Decent battery life with 15 miles a charge. Considering its unique features on portability, I did not worry about battery life.
- A very quiet motor
- Kind of heavy
- Very expensive
- One of the most durable electric scooters on the market, the aircraft grade aluminum build quality means that this scooter can take a beating. A fantastic choice for adults who plan on using this on a daily basis
- Very portable and lightweight thanks to its compact size, 28 pound weight and very sleek folding method
- Max range of 15 miles and max speed of 15mph, giving you a solid one hour of use
- Despite the power of the motor this scooter is surprisingly quiet
- Faster than average charge time thanks to the high quality lithium ion battery
- A great scooter to take you shopping, to work or to school
I had a lot of fun with this scooter. It feels more mature than the Enjoybot Scooter, but it is just as portable. If the Enjoybot is great for kids, this option feels like it’s great for the adult.
It’s so versatile, I loved its functions and how easy it was to get around my city on it. However, the feature that I, without a doubt, loved most is its unique portability feature.
I absolutely love the function that turns it into a rolling suitcase-like bag. It’s unique to this model and I have not seen anything like it before. With just a few seconds, I can turn my fully functioning scooter into what appears to look like a golf-club case or a small bag on wheels. It is great for anyone who has to do part of a commute to work on a train or bus. The wheels allow it to be transported so very easily. It is, without a doubt, its best feature.
If you are looking for a good scooter to commute to work with, this is absolutely one of the best folding electric scooters to do the job. I recommended it to a friend and they are absolutely addicted to it now. They have pretty much entirely abandoned their need for a car, which makes everyone, including the planet, happy.
With the ability to save money on gas, lessen my ecological footprint, and have this scooter’s unique portable feature at my disposal, I could not say no to it. I loved using this for every moment that I did. Should I ever need a lighter scooter to go somewhere, I will definitely take this one out to use. It is absolutely undeniable that it is incredibly useful.
The scooter comes in black and has an aircraft-grade aluminum frame, so it is very lightweight. In fact, its portability feature made it feel even more lightweight than it actually is. Which is always a bonus.
It has a 15-mile battery life and takes about three and a half hours to charge, which is actually pretty average for a folding electric scooter. However, one of the things I very much loved about it was its airless tires. I did not have to worry about air seeping out or getting a flat tired due to its honeycomb tire design.
It’s such a relief to only have to worry about battery power when it comes to a scooter and not flat tires. Or worrying about the absolute right tires to buy for optimal speed and weight capacity. This scooter is more than worth its price and is definitely a steal with its unique features.
It is a great option for commuting due to how easily portable it is. Not to mention, it has an incredibly quiet 250-watt motor. Its max weight capacity is 255 pounds, which is really solid compared to some other models. Anything that could carry more would have to be built with many more materials and therefore be more expensive.
Unfortunately, it is a little on the heavy side, with its overall weight, including the battery, coming in at 28 pounds. However, its portability and ability to be dragged around like a suitcase really help with that. There is never a need to carry it by hand. And picking it up to get it over ledges did not feel like a chore to me since I was dragging it everywhere when I was not riding it, to begin with.
Affordability: 1/5 stars. For its features and battery life, I feel this is on the expensive side. However, if money is not a problem, this scooter is a really solid buy.
Reliability: 3/5 stars. It has decent battery life and its ability to be so portable makes it very easy to bring anywhere. Absolutely worth it if you need to take a train at some point during your commute.
Durability: 4/5. Its aircraft-grade aluminum frame is high quality and rust-resistant. This scooter should last years if well taken care of.
In conclusion, the Glion Dolly is a solid scooter. It has some features that are truly unlike anything else, mainly its portability and tires that do not need air maintenance. This is definitely one of the best folding electric scooters for anyone who needs to commute from work or to school. However, this is definitely a scooter that is solidly built for adults. I would not put this in the hands of a child. In fact, it says right on the Amazon page that is not a toy and not intended for anyone under the age of sixteen.
4. Segway Ninebot ES4
The Segway Ninebot ES4 is a powerful yet portable electric scooter that definitely lives up to the Segway name.
- Comes included with an extra external battery pack
- Incredible max range of 28 miles
- Fast top speed of 19 mph
- Sleek and aesthetic finish
- Very comfortable handlebar
- Comes with a cruise control feature
- Only available in two colors, like most Segway products
- Non-adjustable kickstand
- Limited terrain usage
- Very sleek and comes with one of the easiest folding methods of any portable electric scooter. Perfect for storing on public transit or in the back of a car
- The brilliant dual battery system allows you to charge one as you use the other. Or take both fully charged batteries with you to double your ride distance
- Both wheels are made with shock absorbent materials so that any bump will be reduced in impact dramatically.
- With up to a whopping 800 watts of motorized power, the ES4 has a top speed of 19 mph, a max distance of 28 miles and a max load capacity of 220 pounds or 100 kg. This is the scooter to get if you need or like to travel longer distances
- Segway is known for fitting their machines with many extra features and the Ninebot ES4 is no exception: Bluetooth compatible apps and features, cruise control, a mobile app, firmware updates and more
If you’ve never heard of Segway then you’ve been missing out in the world of electric and motorized vehicles. Segway makes some of the best and most popular hoverboards and electric scooters in the business, and the ES4 is perhaps the best scooter they’ve ever made.
Just taking a quick glance at the specifications of the ES4 should be enough to impress most electric scooter enthusiasts. The ES4 has some seriously excellent states with a great maximum range of 28 miles. This will allow you to go to some very far places by scooter standards. Plus the max speed of 19 mph will allow you to perform some really thrilling riding but without going too fast for safety’s sake.
While this is a great scooter, you do have to take the weight into consideration. It weighs just under 31 pounds which means that it can feel like a hassle during times when you have to carry it around, even when it is in its folded form. The weight is understandable though. The ES4 has two batteries, a whopping 800-watt motor, and also has some very impressive build quality.
The ES4 has some of the best front and rear wheels we’ve ever seen on a foldable electric scooter. They are very durable and are also made with shock-absorbent technology which makes not only riding more comfortable but bumps and small crashes as well.
The battery life is seriously impressive as noted by the 28-mile max range. That means you can get close to 2 hours of total usage when going at the max speed alone. However, there is a downside to this. The Segway ES4 has a long charge time. It takes about six or seven hours to charge the battery from 0% to 100%. This won’t be an issue if you plug in your ES4 every night before bed, but in any other situation, it will seem like a nuisance with that long wait time.
Affordability: 3/5 stars. It’s a little on the pricey side but this scooter, like all of Segway’s products, is worth the price. There are electric scooters that cost a few hundred dollars more that aren’t this impressive.
Reliability: 4/5 stars. The max range and max speed will allow you to get a whole lot done. Plus the great safety precautions and LED lights will help you remain as safe as possible
Durability: 4.5/5 stars. The build quality is arguably the best part about the ES4. This scooter can take a beating and still provide years of good use in great condition. The tires are especially very well made
The Segway Ninebot ES4 may be a little expensive, a little heavy and have a long charge time but that shouldn’t stop you from considering getting what may very well be one of the best foldable electric scooters ever made.
5. GOTRAX GXL V2 Commuting Electric Scooter
The GOTRAX GXL V2 is a very affordable and versatile electric scooter that is ideal for anyone on a tight budget.
- A great buy for someone looking for their first electric scooter or who is on a budget.
- Impressive max speed for the price
- It is compact and easy to store.
- The LED display provides very useful information about your commute
- The motor is very quiet. It’s great for being able to hear the traffic and sounds around you, to make your trip safer.
- Cruise control function is an absolute godsend
- Eight-inch military-grade pneumatic tires must be used in order to properly reach its intended speed.
- Without those specific tires, it cannot hold up its maximum weight capacity of 120 kilograms.
- It has some issues with hills. It can only handle slopes of less than 15 degrees, so if you live in an area that is very steep, it might not be the right scooter on this list for you.
- It is a little less durable than some of the other options on the list.
- The large 8.5 inch tires make for a very stable and smooth ride that will prove invaluable on bumpier roads and hills
- The V2 is a new model and improvement upon the original Gotrax GXL. The battery life, folding design and other features have all undergone more rigorous quality control and have all been improved
- The throttle grips are extremely comfortable and ergonomic so your hands will never feel calloused or worn out after hours of use
- High quality lithium-ion battery has 36 volts and recharges fully in around 4 hours
- The max range is up to 12 miles and the max speed is 15.5 mph
If you are on a budget or are looking for your very first portable and foldable electric scooter then the GOTRAX GXL will probably be the scooter for you. For the price, the GXL manages to provide some great features and solid stats.
Not a lot of electric scooters will go this fast in this price range. At 15.5 mph, the GXL can definitely get you pretty far. This is a great choice for someone who is a high school, college or university student.
The maximum range is about 12 miles which is solid, but unfortunately, that means you’ll be getting less than an hour of use when going at the max speed. Still, this scooter is designed for people traveling shorter distances, not the hot rods who want to be performing tricks at 30 miles per hour.
This is also one of the more portable scooters on our list. The GXL actually becomes quite small when in its folded form. It is surprisingly easy to squeeze this foldable electric scooter under a number of tables or desks.
The one thing you should watch out for though is its build quality. It isn’t made out of cheap materials per se, but it can’t really handle more serious bumps. The quality of the tires seemed pretty average to me.
On the plus side, the GXL has some cool extra features like the Cruise Control function. This is a great feature that I wish every electric scooter had. It makes your commutes so much more relaxing. I would often set the speed to about 8-10 miles per hour and just enjoy the ride. This makes the GXL a great choice for someone looking for a no-hassle kind of scooter.
Affordability: 5/5 stars. This folding electric scooter is extremely affordable. Especially when all of its specs are considered, this scooter is an absolute steal.
Reliability: 3.5/5 stars. It has some trouble with bumps but for the most part, it is reliable. Should you live in a more hill-concentrated area, you may want to consider a different scooter.
Durability: 2.5/5 stars. This scooter will definitely last you a long time but only if you are pretty gentle with it. It isn’t fragile by any means but consistent bumps will wear it down and may have you replacing the tires sooner than expected
The GOTRAX GXL V2 is a great buy for anyone who needs an electric scooter but cannot afford to pay a thousand dollars out of pocket. For all the features you get, the price is completely worth it in my opinion. If you need a motorized folding electric scooter, especially if you are a student, I would highly recommend this product to you. I absolutely loved it when I was using it.
All of these scooters are great. I have genuinely enjoyed using all of them, but it is clear some of them are more suited to certain needs. Just because the number one pick is the best scooter, does not mean it is the best for everyone.
In my opinion, the fifth scooter on the list, the GOTRAX GXL V2, should be an option considered by students. I would not consider buying this for any children or if you need to travel longer distances. This should be bought if you only intend to use the scooter during the time you are at school, but I would not get it for more long-term use.
The Segway Ninebot ES4 is a great all-rounder that will satisfy both beginners and more experienced scooter users. It has an excellent build quality that makes the riding both fun and quite safe. Plus the impressive maximum speed and range are nothing to scoff at.
The is the scooter to get if you care about a mid-range price buy that will get you from A to B. It has some style and some speed but ultimately it is one of the more energy-efficient and portable scooters in its price range.
The Glion Dolly is a scooter I would also recommend for students and those who want to commute to work. It is great to get around a city and save some gas money. And it is a good way to reduce your footprint.
The first, and best budget folding electric scooter, Hover-1 Journey, I would recommend it to those who really love scooters and want to build their transportation lifestyle around it without shelling off a significant amount. It has so much battery life and has the safety and durability that stands the test of time.
Last update on 2022-12-03 at 20:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I need an electicsl part for my HE Enjoybot scooter. Can you help me 617-650-2847Reply